I was reminded by two of my friends yesterday that I have not blogged since April 12th. Where does the time go?
Let's see--I was sick a few days in there and fairly unmotivated for the rest of the time. Such lack of motivation has definitely taken a toll on my creativity! I have had a bit of an inner-blog/monologue going on and oddly enough, it is all about communication. Actually, it is more about the lack of communication or the ability to communicate that has really been irking me. Have any of you seen the movie "Idiocracy"? If not, I highly recommend it, as I fear that our society is heading to that very outcome. It is a future filled with a truly "dumbed down" society, all due to the lack of procreation by the more intelligent and "driven" members of the species. Say what you will, but stupidity is rampant and the biggest carriers are breeding, friends. Now, I will not use this blog to rant on such views, but, I do feel I need to address a certain demise in our society, and that is our communication.
Many of you know that verbal communication is a trait of the more evolved species. It is a highly complex process, and even more highly abused, in my opinion. Just the other day, I was having a conversation with someone and I realized that I could not seem to understand a word they were saying. So, I suppose you could say this person was talking "at" me. Her verbal communication was filled with slang and even words that aren't words! At the very least, Webster doesn't recognize them! She later sent me an email and her written grammar was even worse. I just didn't know what to think. The one thing that was really obvious in her email was that she used a lot of "text speak". Don't get me wrong - I text a LOT, but, I try to use proper spellings and English. It's just an "ism" of mine, I guess. However, in my work environment, I believe that email communication should contain proper verbiage and punctuation. I also believe that if you are trying to prove a point to me in my work environment, cut the slang and the cursing, so maybe I can understand. Or care. I find the dumber you sound, the less I care. Sue me.
I had quite the "revelation" weekend this past weekend. I was addressed by a cashier at my local department store and she proceeded to tell me that it was rude and hurtful when one is texting or reading their phone when they are in the company of another. She was criticizing me, of course, because I was texting Nate about the shorts I was purchasing for him at that moment, while out with my sister and niece. Ouch. She was right. We all seem to spend a lot of time on our smartphones (that makes us dumber) and/or iPads, laptops, etc, when we are supposed to be enjoying the company of friends and family. I am guilty of this on extreme levels, but, I am making a concerted effort to change this. I do believe that this very "problem" is a main reason we are losing the ability to verbally communicate. We are uncomfortable with verbal conversation. I don't know how many friends have said they prefer texting, simply because they can get to the point, say what they want to say, and don't have to worry with dull conversation. I like to text because I don't want to interrupt what the other party is doing. Regardless of the reason, I would love to get away from these excuses and start "talking" again.
So, give me a call. Or, I can call you! Either way, I like your voice and would love to hear it again. And, I would love to get some more practice at this verbal communication thing. Use it or lose it, right?
:) LAH
No comments:
Post a Comment