Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankless Thanksgiving?!?

Since I was in my mid-teenage years, Thanksgiving has been my absolute favorite holiday.  Don't get me wrong, I do love Christmas; but, of late, I cannot STAND what it does to people.  Everybody is SO stressed about what to buy, how to decorate, which parties to attend and worst of all, who they are dreading spending time with (or money on) on Christmas Day.  My sister and I have joked about having a Xanax Advent Calendar, which still looks like the best idea we've ever had.  It shouldn't be like that!

Regardless, I'm finding that so many people "say" they are thankful for things and perhaps in that moment, they actually believe/feel it.  But, I have also noticed how Thanksgiving has seemed skipped over more and more the older I get.  As soon as Halloween rolls around, BAM!, everyone puts up their Christmas decorations.  Now, I know that Thanksgiving doesn't really have decorations, per se, but still...Think about how pressure-less Thanksgiving really can be.  Maybe that's the reason I love it SO much.  There's no candy, no presents, no fairytale/mythical creature to visit your house--there is really not that much that is "commercial" about Thanksgiving.  Maybe that's why people are in such a rush to "just get through it".  Retailers aren't making a buck off of it, so, hey, why not just forget about it all together?  Drives me insane.

Watching TV the past two weeks and all I have seen is commercials for Black Friday.  "Come visit us at 9pm. Stores opening early to get a jump start on the deals!"  It's almost like Thanksgiving Day is nothing more than an "eve" to a more important day, Black Friday.  Thanksgiving is not a day to eat a bunch and rest up before the real festivities begin!  It is a day of reflection, of peace, of GIVING THANKS!  You don't have to worry if Johnny is going to love his toy that nearly killed you to find and purchase, or if Uncle Ned already has a shirt that color.  It is a day to be thankful that Johnny HAS toys to play with and that Uncle Ned has clothes!  (And, let's hope he's wearing them, anyway... :))

So, stop.  Look around.  Be thankful.  Live in the moment.  Be at peace.

I am thankful for you.  I am thankful for all my family, friends and for all I have been given.

:) LAH

3 comments:

  1. And some people call it Turkey Day... HA!
    Capitalism is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. It's a different view of it that I never thought of - the whole 'nothing to really buy for it' aspect.

    I was trying to remember when black friday became such a sensation. I know it wasn't around when I was a teen, nor my early 20s...not that I recall.

    But that 'holiday' has managed to ruin Turkey Day for people as they tend to camp out the day before, to be first in line for the big sales. I guess they don't think it's ruined, but I do...and that's what counts. :)

    ReplyDelete