So, I have this really annoying "quirk". I don't know that anyone else notices it, but I do. And it drives me nuts. It's a phenomenon that I have lovingly labeled "the accent shuffle." And I am talking literally (no pun intended)--my accent changes so frequently, it amazes even me.
For example: I'm at my office, hanging out with some of the other girls I work with and my truest-of-true southern accents comes out. Sometimes, its even borderline hillbilly redneck. But, I sound like what I think my normal voice sounds like and they can understand me and I can understand them. In walks another co-worker who is from NYC. And suddenly, I'm using phrases like "you guys" and "fugghedaboudit". Ok, maybe not THAT bad, but you get the idea.
Now, I'm not saying that I go so far as adopting a British or Irish or Scottish accent, but I will sound like I'm from one region or the other of the USA, depending on the moment. Long and short - I have no idea what kind of accent is true for me.
Another example - anyone seen the show "All Worked Up" or "Lizard Lick Towing and Recovery" on TruTV? Well, these guys are from Lizard Lick (Wendell, NC) and have some extreme redneck accents. The first time Nate watched it, he was convinced that these were "my people"...About five minutes into the first show, I noticed that there were words on the screen. And it hit me--there aren't a lot of people that can understand what these guys are saying! Nate looks over at me at one point and said "what did he just say?" Wow. But I understood every word and thought it was so ridiculous that there were SUBTITLES!
Do I need subtitles? Perhaps. But, then again, I'm usually speaking the dialect of whichever group I'm around. Heaven knows I'll be really messed up if two groups collide! Just think--depending on who is reading this and what you remember my voice to sound like, it could "sound" to you profoundly different than someone else reading this 20 miles across town. That makes me laugh. Y'all.
:) LAH
No comments:
Post a Comment